In this episode, Sarah Pretorius (Founding Partner and Fashion Designer of Carlyle the label) and I discuss the details of the ‘Fashion Design’ industry. We carefully outline detailed answers to questions such as – What is Fashion Design? How does one become a Fashion Designer? What skills do you need to succeed in this creative industry? How do you employ Design Thinking within the design process and how does it come into play? How does the technology changes such as VR/AR and Artificial Intelligence affect the future of this under-rated industry? An engaging conversation on a relevant topic for everyone one us!
Sarah Pretorius is the founder and designer of sustainable swimwear brand, Carlyle the Label, which was born out of a lifelong love of creativity and design. Knowing from an early age that she wanted to pursue a career in fashion design, Sarah studied a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Fashion) at QUT in Brisbane and has since gone on to juggle running her own label while working full time in the fashion industry. During her studies she developed a specific interest in “stretchwear” design, which has shaped her design path in the recent years (although she has delved into footwear over the past eighteen months). With a deep-rooted passion for sustainability and social responsibility, Sarah’s design process focuses heavily on minimising environmental impact and encouraging mindful consumption through the embodiment of sustainable fabrics, classic silhouettes and quality craftsmanship.
- S02 : Ep. 07 : Self-teaching the latest design tools with Elvin Djonlagic
- S02 : Ep. 06 : Design thinking applied to business development and leadership with Kaitlin Sells
- S02 : Ep. 05 : Year 4 to NASA – A pathway beyond this world with Megha Wijewardane
- S02 : Ep. 04 : Entering the Industry – Transitioning from Tertiary Education with Angus Godwin & Alexis Harper
- S02 : Ep. 03 : Real world design applications while studying with Alma Yulianisa
- S02 : Ep. 02 : The Importance of Travel & Design Education with Natasha Clough