In this episode, Sarah Pretorius (Founding Partner and Fashion Designer of Carlyle the label) and I discuss the details of the ‘Fashion Design’ industry. We carefully outline detailed answers to questions such as – What is Fashion Design? How does one become a Fashion Designer? What skills do you need to succeed in this creative industry? How do you employ Design Thinking within the design process and how does it come into play? How does the technology changes such as VR/AR and Artificial Intelligence affect the future of this under-rated industry? An engaging conversation on a relevant topic for everyone one us!
Sarah Pretorius is the founder and designer of sustainable swimwear brand, Carlyle the Label, which was born out of a lifelong love of creativity and design. Knowing from an early age that she wanted to pursue a career in fashion design, Sarah studied a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Fashion) at QUT in Brisbane and has since gone on to juggle running her own label while working full time in the fashion industry. During her studies she developed a specific interest in “stretchwear” design, which has shaped her design path in the recent years (although she has delved into footwear over the past eighteen months). With a deep-rooted passion for sustainability and social responsibility, Sarah’s design process focuses heavily on minimising environmental impact and encouraging mindful consumption through the embodiment of sustainable fabrics, classic silhouettes and quality craftsmanship.
- S04 : Ep. 9 : Artificial Intelligence & BigData with Rahul Kota & Matthew Lakis
- S04 : Ep. 8 : Design & Constructing with BIM Integration with Nathan Love
- S04 : Ep. 7 : Advanced Robotics within Advanced Manufacturing with Dr Cori Stewart
- S04 : Ep. 6 : Food Manufacturing, Food Technology & Food Science, all on the same plate with FIAQ & Earlee Products
- S04 : Ep. 5 : 21st Century Engineering & Technologies Integration with Govinda Pandey
- S04 : Ep. 4 : Agriculture & Farming in the 21st Century with Rory Aronson
- S04 : Ep. 3 : Life Sciences & Bio Technologies in Advanced Manufacturing with Clare Blain
- S04 : Ep. 2 : Advanced Manufacturing Gateway to Industry Schools Program with Jules McMurtrie