Food. Agriculture. Farming. Words that are vital for a sustainable future and the survival of all living things. Rory Aronson (Social entrepreneur and Founder of FarmBot Inc.) and I unravel the details involved with Agriculture & Farming in the 21st century. Rory humbly shares his vast knowledge combining a unique experience in engineering, design and entrepreneurship in agriculture and tackles detailed responses to questions such as - What does 'agriculture & farming' look like 50 years ago and how does it look now in the 21st century in comparison? What are the key skills and attributes required to succeed - especially if someone is planning on entering the industry from school, tertiary? What are the technologies involved and how does drones, IoT, BigData, Smart Devices etc. play a crucial role in this sector? Is '21st education' aligned and suitable to facilitate a future in the modern-day agriculture and farming? Rory then concludes with timely advice for students as well as teachers and schools on how to pivot towards the future of this amazing industry within the 21st century. Tune into this episode and learn all the details required to succeed within agriculture and farming in the 21st century.
Rory Aronson is a mechanical engineer and social entrepreneur focused on large scale social and environmental challenges. He aims to benefit humankind and the environment by taking ideas into action via engineering, design, entrepreneurship, and personal lifestyle choices.
FarmBot Inc designs and manufactures 100% open-source farming robots for home, educational, and research purposes. The machines, available in a variety of sizes, can plant seeds, water, measure soil moisture, and take photos to identify weeds and then abate them. Users control their system from a web-based application from their phone, tablet, or laptop.
Useful Learning Resources:
FarmBot - Take Back Control
FarmBot is humanity's open-source CNC farming machine designed for small-scale automated food production. Take back control of the food system at https://farm.bot
FarmBot in Education - Inspiring the Next Generation of Farmers
FarmBot has been adopted by over 500 educational institutions around the world to teach robotics, biology, soil science, and a myriad of other STEM subjects. Ready to bring FarmBot to your students? Just visit http://edu.farm.bot and get in touch with us today.
Open Educational Resources
Openly licensed and free to use educational resources for teaching FarmBot technology and related subjects
- S04 : Ep. 18 : Design Thinking in the Future of Work & Education featuring Ariel Raz
- S04 : Ep. 17 : Drones Technology with a purpose and how it relates to Education featuring Rob Sutton
- S04 : Ep. 16 : The Latest Innovations in Laser Technology and its Importance to 21st Century Education with Simon Moore
- S04 : Ep. 15 : Industrial Design – One of the most integrated and versatile design careers with Tim Williams and Andrew Peterson
- S04 : Ep. 14 : Science + Design + Technology + Manufacturing = 21st Century Orthotics Industry with Dean Hartley
- S04 : Ep. 13 : Dam Engineering & Safety across Four Continents and Eight Countries with Dr Gamini Adikari
- S04 : Ep. 12 : Renewable energies – the future of the energy sector with Vivienne Roberts
- S04 : Ep. 11 : Bespoke steel fabrication and advanced visualisation technologies with Dr. Vitor Bottazzi