In the recent climate, the stress on the education sector has been immense. All deliveries moving online, raises many questions and concerns, especially with creative subjects such as ‘Design’. So how do educators overcome these challenges? Madeline Taylor (QUT Lecturer and design maverick) and I uncover details, insights, challenges and learnings through the delivery of the ‘Design Intensive’ for over 600+ first year tertiary design students. Questions such as - how was the teaching and learning experience quality managed? What were the challenges/outcomes and learnings? How will this evolve the way design is taught? As well as take away, actionable advice and tips for educators, schools and universities to effectively teach online. Tune in for the latest online education information within 21st century design education.
Madeline Taylor is a fashion and performance designer, researcher and educator. A lecturer in Fashion at Queensland University of Technology, and a PhD candidate at Victorian College of Arts, University of Melbourne, her research focuses on the interpersonal dynamics of collaboration, effectively addressing the question, how can we work together better? Other research interests include contemporary costume practice, design movements and alternative modes of engaging with, and displaying, fashion and clothing. With almost 2 decades of professional experience she has worked on over 90 productions in theatre, dance, opera, circus, contemporary performance and film around Australia and the UK. In 2010 she completed a research internship at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London under Donatella Barbieri, and in 2011 she completed an honours dissertation at Queensland University of Technology examining changing methods of costume production in Australia. Since then she taught and lectured at QUT and University of Melbourne in costume, theatre and design practice and theory. She is a co-director of fashion and design group The Stitchery Collective and was Australian Editor for the World Scenography Project Vol II – 1990 - 2005.
LinkedIn: Madeline Taylor
- S03 : Ep. 24 : The Importance of the United Nations SDGs in Education with Joel Lindsay
- S03 : Ep. 23 : Esports in 21st Century Education with Dan Martinez
- S03 : Ep. 22 : Investing in the 21st Century with Nathan Birch
- S03 : Ep. 21 : The 5 Inner Critics and how these Design our life
- S03 : Ep. 20 : IoT & 21st Century Education with Michelle Howie
- S03 : Ep. 19 : Everything SketchUp with James Charnley
- S03 : Ep. 18 : Mindfulness in 21st Century Education with Amy Lou Wilson
- S03 : Ep. 17 : The Future of Visualisation in Design with Christopher Nichols