In the recent climate, the stress on the education sector has been immense. All deliveries moving online, raises many questions and concerns, especially with creative subjects such as ‘Design’. So how do educators overcome these challenges? Madeline Taylor (QUT Lecturer and design maverick) and I uncover details, insights, challenges and learnings through the delivery of the ‘Design Intensive’ for over 600+ first year tertiary design students. Questions such as - how was the teaching and learning experience quality managed? What were the challenges/outcomes and learnings? How will this evolve the way design is taught? As well as take away, actionable advice and tips for educators, schools and universities to effectively teach online. Tune in for the latest online education information within 21st century design education.
Madeline Taylor is a fashion and performance designer, researcher and educator. A lecturer in Fashion at Queensland University of Technology, and a PhD candidate at Victorian College of Arts, University of Melbourne, her research focuses on the interpersonal dynamics of collaboration, effectively addressing the question, how can we work together better? Other research interests include contemporary costume practice, design movements and alternative modes of engaging with, and displaying, fashion and clothing. With almost 2 decades of professional experience she has worked on over 90 productions in theatre, dance, opera, circus, contemporary performance and film around Australia and the UK. In 2010 she completed a research internship at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London under Donatella Barbieri, and in 2011 she completed an honours dissertation at Queensland University of Technology examining changing methods of costume production in Australia. Since then she taught and lectured at QUT and University of Melbourne in costume, theatre and design practice and theory. She is a co-director of fashion and design group The Stitchery Collective and was Australian Editor for the World Scenography Project Vol II – 1990 - 2005.
LinkedIn: Madeline Taylor
- S04 : Ep. 23 : Concept to Construction: Design & Manufacturing Workflows Featuring Nathan Rice
- S04 : Ep. 22 : Augmented Reality X Design: How AR Can Transform The Way We Create & Design, Featuring Gwyllim Jahn
- S04 : Ep. 21 : Flying Cars : The Future is Here, Featuring Jacky Yang
- S04 : Ep. 20 : AI x Creativity – Measuring the Unmeasurable Featuring Paul Browning
- S04 : Ep. 19 : The Aerospace Sector – Design Thinking, Technologies and more… Featuring Karl Domjahn
- S04 : Ep. 18 : Design Thinking in the Future of Work & Education featuring Ariel Raz
- S04 : Ep. 17 : Drones Technology with a purpose and how it relates to Education featuring Rob Sutton
- S04 : Ep. 16 : The Latest Innovations in Laser Technology and its Importance to 21st Century Education with Simon Moore