In this episode we wrap up season 2, with a unique conversation with Shelby Parkes (a Year 11 student from Hillcrest Christian College). Shelby humbly shares his perspective on overcoming the mindset of ‘failing’ and ‘flearning’ as a part of his school’s embedded and facilitated pedagogy. Shelby humbly shares how his approach to ‘fail forward’ is paving the pathway for him to overcome perfectionism as well as how to approach his learning with a growth mindset. We discuss the various challenges from a student’s point of view of walking through this journey of failing forward, towards success. This unique episode is full of insights and answers to questions such as – the definition of failing forward, how and why is it an important ingredient towards future success and tailored advice for educators and students walking through the same journey!
Shelby Parkes is a year 11 student at Hillcrest Christian College on the Gold Coast. Through a strong and dedicated work ethic, he has achieved exemplary results throughout his senior studies. His current academic focus is driven by the application of maths and science to design and engineering. Shelby is aspiring to become an engineer possibly in the aeronautical or mechanical division. Outside of his academic pursuits, Shelby has had a part time job at a pizza restaurant and has invested in hobbies such as tennis, mountain biking, fishing and the electric guitar.
- S04 : Ep. 18 : Design Thinking in the Future of Work & Education featuring Ariel Raz
- S04 : Ep. 17 : Drones Technology with a purpose and how it relates to Education featuring Rob Sutton
- S04 : Ep. 16 : The Latest Innovations in Laser Technology and its Importance to 21st Century Education with Simon Moore
- S04 : Ep. 15 : Industrial Design – One of the most integrated and versatile design careers with Tim Williams and Andrew Peterson
- S04 : Ep. 14 : Science + Design + Technology + Manufacturing = 21st Century Orthotics Industry with Dean Hartley
- S04 : Ep. 13 : Dam Engineering & Safety across Four Continents and Eight Countries with Dr Gamini Adikari
- S04 : Ep. 12 : Renewable energies – the future of the energy sector with Vivienne Roberts
- S04 : Ep. 11 : Bespoke steel fabrication and advanced visualisation technologies with Dr. Vitor Bottazzi