This is a unique episode with Kaitlin Sells – one of my past students and the very person who was essential to the main purpose behind Inspired Education Australia. Today we unpack some amazing insights into how Kaitlin was able to apply design thinking principles to business development and leadership through her own journey. This is a transferable skill across every industry and useful key towards industry 4 and 21st century career development. We were able to find answers to questions such how did business development manifest itself in your architectural career? Did the learnings in creative problem solving (design thinking) play a role in your success within the BD role? If so, how? Do you think this can be applied in other industries? How is this relevant in the 21st century? What about advice for universities/schools? Is it important to make this thinking approach apparent for student success and career flexibility? These are just some of the gems presented within this episode. If you are wanting to learn how to be successful in the 21st century, this episode is designed for you.
Having worked in the architectural industry throughout her university studies, Kaitlin quickly honed her skills in not only design and construction, but also project management, leading her to take on roles outside the typical “architectural” job description. She was given the opportunity to take on more business development work including client attainment, professional relations, business strategy, growth forecasting and management. Kaitlin simultaneously took on leadership positions within external networking organisations to further her skillset.
Being a strong advocate for a ‘relationship first’ approach to projects, Kaitlin believes that many of these skills are transferrable across industries and have helped her build her knowledge and skill set. Kaitlin holds a Bachelor of Design (Architectural Studies) and a Master of Architecture from QUT.
- S03 : Ep. 04 : The Future of work and the key ingredients for success with Lavinia Iosub – Livit International
- S03 : Ep. 03 : Architecture in the 21st Century with David Basulto – ArchDaily
- S03 : Ep. 02 : Graphisoft – ArchiCAD, Rhino, Grasshopper, Bluebeam in the AEC with Michael Warr – Central Innovations
- S03 : Ep. 01 : Importance of Creativity in Education and Design with Dr. Tim Kitchen – Adobe
- S02 : Ep. 09 : The Importance of failing forward with Shelby Parkes from Hillcrest Christian College
- S02 : Ep. 08 : An International Student’s Journey, in Design with Victor Nguyen
- S02 : Ep. 07 : Self-teaching the latest design tools with Elvin Djonlagic
- S02 : Ep. 05 : Year 4 to NASA – A pathway beyond this world with Megha Wijewardane