In this episode, Fredrico (Fred) Fialho (Co-Founder of F-Flat) and I unravel all the technical details in one of the hottest topics at a global scale – VR! Strap yourselves in… this one is is heavy! We were able to unpack the latest information and answer questions such as – What is VR? What is AR? What abou the VR tools involved? (The best brands, how to use it, the equipment needed) What are the applications of VR right now? In contrast, what does the future hold in VR? What is the impact of these technologies on design and education? What should students/educators and professionals do to embed these (essential) skill sets within their portfolio? Tune in for some of the best VR related stories, case studies and a thoroughly “technology made easy” conversation with one of the leading VR experts!
FREDERICO FIALHO TEIXEIRA is a Lecturer at the School of Architecture, University of Queensland. With 15 years of experience in the innovative field of computational architecture and digital fabrication. He was awarded the Dean's Fellowship from the University of California and developed innovative biologically-based design strategies at the California Nano Systems Institute. With over 40 publications on design methods and research in digital design and fabrication, his research focus on “experimental design” through the experiential traits of new media and computational strategies. He holds professional degrees in architecture (Royal Institute of British Architects; Portuguese Chamber of Architects) and practiced for the top international offices such as Zaha Hadid Architects. Through his innovative strategies he designed over 30 projects from which he was internationally awarded within the art and architectural domains.
THIS EPISODE WAS PROUDLY AND EXCLUSIVELY SPONSORED BY F-FLAT
Established in 2003 by Muge Belek and Frederico Fialho, [f] FLAT Architectures is a design research platform focused in the development of design strategies and architectural and media art works. The space provides the ground to develop works with an emphasis in transvergent design methodologies and techniques. In reaction to a world built on notions, [f] FLAT uses percepts and affects as extended modes of relating to art and design.
The ongoing research aims to assess novel constructs, in which pan-computational strategies generate multimodal spaces as design conditions. With strong links to academia, [f] FLAT consciously aims to transfer research into practice through the constant pursuit of design strategies that require constant innovation.
MUGE BELEK is an architect and a post-doctoral researcher at Queensland University of Technology (QUT) in Design Robotics. She holds a BSc. in architecture, a MSc. on “Collaborative Design Studio Environments” from Istanbul Technical University (ITU), and a MArch from Architectural Association School of Architecture Design Research Laboratory. She has worked as a lecturer in QUT, University of Queensland (UQ), ITU, Istanbul Bilgi University (BILGI) and Kadir Has University (KHAS). She has also worked as an architect in several architectural firms, including Zaha Hadid Architects Ltd. in London, Istanbul and Brazil. She holds a PhD focused on Trans-Architectural Design Paradigm, during which she studied for two years with Marcos Novak in University of California Santa Barbara, Translab. She has published articles and interviews, and presented in several international conferences and exhibitions. She has also been awarded in multiple competitions and events.
- Media Arts and Technology
- University of California
- Future Places
- Ephemeral Structures Competition
- Naval Museum Competition
- S04 : Ep. 18 : Design Thinking in the Future of Work & Education featuring Ariel Raz
- S04 : Ep. 17 : Drones Technology with a purpose and how it relates to Education featuring Rob Sutton
- S04 : Ep. 16 : The Latest Innovations in Laser Technology and its Importance to 21st Century Education with Simon Moore
- S04 : Ep. 15 : Industrial Design – One of the most integrated and versatile design careers with Tim Williams and Andrew Peterson
- S04 : Ep. 14 : Science + Design + Technology + Manufacturing = 21st Century Orthotics Industry with Dean Hartley
- S04 : Ep. 13 : Dam Engineering & Safety across Four Continents and Eight Countries with Dr Gamini Adikari
- S04 : Ep. 12 : Renewable energies – the future of the energy sector with Vivienne Roberts
- S04 : Ep. 11 : Bespoke steel fabrication and advanced visualisation technologies with Dr. Vitor Bottazzi